Let it be released from the mind

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Fashion isn't everything, right?



I've been telling myself that for the last several years--fashion isn't everything. It's amazing how much I've grown since those callow days of high school where every accessory and new piece of clothing made me feel like a more likeable and approachable person. I had so many pairs of tights they needed their own drawer. Patterns in argyle, plaids, solid colors with stitchwork, wicked witch of the west types, etc. A whole new wardrobe every year--I was an only child, so it wasn't like I had to share the clothing budget with anyone else!

Fast forward to me now. I bought my first pair of 'dress' shoes recently in about two years because my brown work shoes were nearly falling apart. Most of my shoes are in serious need of a good polish or a visit to the trash can. I buy no more than one pair of pants and two shirts a season to add to my wardrobe. It seems like I spend ten minutes every morning looking for a matching pair of socks. I have a bag full to the brim of clothes in need of repair--hems falling apart, edges coming unraveled, buttons missing.

Is my current state attributed to not caring about my personal appearance any more? No, because I still strive to be a beautiful person. However, being a beautiful person no longer means being on the cutting edge of fashion. I was never a Milan catwalker, and this is lucky for me as the average Milan woman spends $6,000 a year on clothing. I can't imagine the level of debt I'd have if I lived by those standards.

And yet, as I sat last night watching Anthony Bourdain on "No Reservations: Malaysia" I began to reflect on his attire. Man, is he clueless. He wears shorts that are high and mighty, jeans that are rolled up on the bottom, button-down short sleeved shirts over his point shoulders, and tank tops. Let's not forget earrings and punk-rock t-shirts that seem to have lived on his back for the last 2 decades. I'm sure there are more offenses, but these stuck out the most.

The interesting thing is that although he's known around the world for his writing and travel shows, he doesn't give a damn about his fashion sense. I'm sure producers attempt to encourage a more fashionable look for him before he starts taping his show, and I'm sure he tells them to bug off. He's happy looking like he's had 4 hours of sleep every night for his entire life and smokes 2 packs a day. He doesn't care if his tank top further accentuates his bird arms that have less muscle than a prepubescent boy.

Maybe this is why I love him, I crave his satirical books and shows. There are more important things in his life to think about like fresh food and unique cultures and poking fun at himself and everything around him. He is cool, and it's not fashion or Hollywood-zation that makes him that way. Yes, I know I made that word up.

1 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

That's me playing Sammy Davis Jr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home