Let it be released from the mind

Monday, June 26, 2006

When all else fails, cook.

Ignoring the plight of the world, I spent most of my weekend tucked between 13 feet of lime green drywall sheets. This safe haven is known as my kitchen. The amount of time that I spent in there for my sheer amusement is striking.
It began Friday--meat day. We had a simply grilled steak with chimichurri sauce, gorgonzola mashed potatoes and a vibrant panzanella salad. I recommend only cooking enough panzanella to eat in one sitting. I had a lot of soggy bread on Sunday for lunch :( We pre-grilled vegetables (gigantic yellow squash and zucchini, eggplant and onions) in a balsamic marinade for veggie sandwiches during the week (served of course with arugula and olive tapenade). Saturday was freshly-caught Rockfish from the Bay, broiled with lemon and pepper, served atop long julienned pieces of squash and zucchini (think looking like pasta) cooked with cilantro and spices and a spicy greens salad with asian-sesame vinaigrette. Sunday, regardless of the number of gigantic squash and zucchini that exist on our countertops, we refused to eat more vegetables. I woke up first thing and made a strawberry tiramisu. It ended up being like a liquorey and softer strawberry shortcake. Excellent. Then I went to work for a few hours and returned to the kitchen again. Since I had to cut my herbs back, and thus had to cut a whole bunch of rosemary off my plant, I used the rosemary sprigs to skewer shrimp, then tossed them with chili powder, cumin, garlic, and pepper and pan-seared them. The shrimp was served atop rice with lime and cilantro (Chipotle what!) and spicy mango and black bean salsa. I need to figure out how much protein exists in how much beans...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home