Let it be released from the mind

Friday, May 09, 2008

a weekend of cooking and eating

I have a weekend of cooking and eating ahead of me, and I'm looking forward to it. When executing large entertaining meals, most of my battle comes from the planning of the meal itself. It takes me forever to find the proper inspiration and pairing of a full meal. I surely fall short many times, but I know I have put my heart into it.

Tonight, I'll make an homage to spring as we have Kelly & Dan over for the first time as a couple--shocking it has taken this long. I think I'll start with a freshly-depodded pea and mint puree with a slight touch of broth and cream so it's not too thick served with a seared jumbo scallop with lemon. The main course will be a a simple past a dish, combining most likely mushrooms and asparagus with a simple light sauce.

Since I've been working like crazy it's a comp day today, so in a few hours I'll drive to Naptown for the Amish market, to buy all sorts of homemade goodies including bread to serve and no doubt a strawberry-rhubarb pie, which combines the finest of spring's bounty with the first emergers of the season.

It's always difficult for Mother's Day...how to appease two very different women. Two years ago it was planned around the MIL with homemade manicotti and eggplant parmigiana--no small feat mind you. Last year, for my own dear mudda, a French bouillebaise--my first attempt at this outstanding fisherman's stew. This year--mimic Zuni Cafe's roast chicken. It's half-between both of their likes, and if my dad can't respect chicken a little more after this meal then there's nothing to save him from a beef-laden existence. I'm so happy to see the recipe online, and I can't wait to try to mimic it this weekend.

Since it was just my mom's birthday as well, we'll probably eat some crabs, which must be her favorite thing to eat in the whole world. Second might be buttery movie-theater popcorn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home