Let it be released from the mind

Monday, June 09, 2008

camping at Big Run State Park

Pat set up awesome plans for all our friends to get together and haul our camping gear to Western Maryland for a fun outdoors weekend. Despite the temperatures in DC being over 100 degrees I believe, the campsite in the mountainous valley offered a cooler climate for us to enjoy ourselves. As my mom said when I mentioned we were on our way to camping "Are you bringing air conditioners?" HAHAHAHA The nights were cold enough to be in the sleeping bag, and even during the day the cooler stream wind and tree cover made it completely bearable. A nice cold beer in the hand was a good alternative as well.


I learned a few of the techniques relative to fly fishing while on the upper Savage River. I have never ever been fishing before, so starting with the artful fly fishing was a real treat. It's pretty dang fun to flick that extended line back and forth and just watch the fly drift down the river currents. I nearly caught a 5 or 6 inch fish, but I think he outsmarted me. Go figure. Laika took multiple dips in the flowing creeks and rivers and got a good amount of swimming time in. She's adorable because she really likes to swim but still isn't completely comfortable with currents. So she'll go to chase a thrown stick but might end up wimping out half way to it. She hates it when other dogs succeed though and usually lets out a small whimper like "I could do that. Throw it to me. Throw it to me".


The Samples also let us borrow their kayaks for an hour to go out on the Savage Reservoir which was absolutely beautiful. Green Tree-covered mountains billowed down to the calm flatwater making for an ideal quick paddle for us. Next purchase: canoe. I say canoe rather than kayak because people have convinced me that they're more versatile and useful. I've only canoed once or twice and they seem more difficult to manuever and gain ground. However you can carry more things in a canoe, Laika would probably sit in the center of it which means we could take her along, and you can fish from it. I don't plan on fishing from it, but Daniel made this point.
It was nice being in such a peaceful and welcoming place. Big Run State Park was beautiful and I'll be sure to visit there again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home