Let it be released from the mind

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

laundry list of my thoughts and actions lately

  1. I am happy that the Boston Celtics won only because of Kevin Garnett. Otherwise, I hate Boston and all of their punky winning teams. I especially enjoy listening to Kevin, who is usually a quiet person, be so elated when he wins. And whenever Michelle Tefoya interviews him he always takes the time to tell her "Michelle, you're lookin' good tonight." This cracks me up every time. He just won the national championship by 50 points, and he stops and compliments Michelle as usual.
  2. I hate the Miami teacher girl on So You Think You Can Dance. I mean, seriously, she has no technique, and she's awkward as hell, and yet they still compliment her. And they say how sexy she is...doubtful. If outlandish outfits and long uber-dyed blonde hair mean sexy, then they're right, she is.
  3. My FIL is totally awesome. Over the years I continue to be impressed by him more and more. We may bicker in the garden over the right or more efficient way to do things, but he really moved me this past weekend. In preparation for the keg at our annual Olympics he has begun filling his used water bottles or any plastic bottles with water and freezing them. This will be more efficient than small pieces of ice at keeping the beer frosty cold. And when they have fully melted, we can poke a small hole in the cap and tip them into the garden for a slow-release waterer. Double use for the same water. Ever since I bought him a rain barrel, he's been making extra effort to take their cat litter jugs out there and fill them up with water so we can collect as much as possible in the barrel. Did I mention he's great?!?
  4. We 've been working hard on the garden for mass production this year. D and his dad installed a deer-proof fence, not to be confused with rabbit-proof fence, which is a very sad concept. These deer need to not destroy all our crops this year. However there may be a groundhog attacking our lettuce and eating all the leafy good parts and leaving us all the bitter bottoms. I do not like bitter bottoms. The greens have been plentiful so far--buttercrunch lettuce, arugula, mesclun mix, a small amount of spinach, collards that are getting quickly eaten by some caterpillar infestation, romaine. We also have fava beans which I will hopefully try to make tonight.
  5. I am furiously furiously knitting every day to finish two sweaters for Lily & Grace for my impending visit to the Hamptons. Yes, this weekend and I'm not done with either of the sweaters...wait, what the hell am I doing typing to you fools who probably don't read this anyways?? I have full faith in myself. I'll finish the post. I'll post pictures of my achievements for you to laud at a later time.
  6. I'm going to the Hamptons this weekend--wahoo! It'll just be an extended weekend, but I'm so excited to see Sara, Alan, the girls and this very wealthy and beautiful part of the country. I've never been to any of the posh New England places--Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, etc etc. Perhaps I'll run into Ina Garten in her ridiculously luxurious garden. Or P. Diddy would be just as good :)
  7. Daniel gave me an early birthday present for my upcoming trip--an ipod Touch! My Virgin MP3 player, bought Christmas 2005, is already defunct and stupid. It just one day decided that it's software was no longer going to work and won't recognize songs any more. I don't know that much about technology but I tried a little to fix it and I can't. So I'm currently learning how to use it. i think i need a stylus pen because i'm having trouble getting it to react to my touch. we'll see.
  8. Due to the rising prices of gasoline, the public transportation and personal commuting costs are now just about even. A roundtrip Metro ride costs me $9 if you can believe it. How do they expect people to WANT to use public transportation when it costs that much! But regardless, my 42 mile round trip commute costs probably about 2 gallons of gas and wear and tear on the car. So when I can't commute with my lovely friend JZ, I am trying to Metro. i even took the bus to my house from the Metro, which costs an extra $.35 and a ten-minute walk! Using the bus is a little daunting and time-consuming, but it feels good to know you have a nearly zero-carbon footprint for the day!
  9. The RNO is in just one week. I'm so excited!!! Are you coming?

1 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so pleased to be rewarded with such great pictures after reading your post (not that the post wasn't awesome too).

-F

P.S. P would love a pet, so save a groundhog for him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home