Let it be released from the mind

Sunday, July 13, 2008

RNO 2008











It was an interesting one this year. It came way early, for one. Normally we celebrate our annual games in mid-August, but to make sure Amy & Adam could participate we held it the last weekend in June. The weather had been killer all week and humid as could be, making a ripe ground for flies and gross bags of crab shells the next day. But beneath the trees it was fine and we didn't get too muddy--until the Regatta race. I guess the Regatta was where things started to fall apart a bit. During my fourth or fifth time of racing the regatta, my shoulder separated as it slipped out from under me and I face planted in the mud. It was all laughs until everyone realized that I was crying like a blubbering idiot. Several hours (and days) later the arm was mostly immobile and painful as hell. But I soldiered through and dealt with the pain with beer and vodka.

Regardless of the pain and turmoil, the girls were tight finishing this year. Meg, Kelly & Liz were all tied with 10 points, and for the first time I didn't place as I came in with 9. I'll blame it on my shoulder. It should be noted that Kelly did in fact have the most number of first places amongst the three. But we settled in the style of game that no one can contest--toilet bowl ringer. Liz pulled out first in the end, getting by far the closest to the horseshoe pole with the toilet seat. Dan S. was the best at this game and made several ringers. Pat didn't even compete in 1/3 of the events, instead being lulled by the heavy A/C and Yankees game indoors, and still managed to get a bronze.

Two idiots hard at work getting rid of trees that were in the way of toilet bowl ringer (toilet seat horseshoes). Here's my mom once again trouncing me in Camptown Races. She's wearing her Roxanna fire house shirt, where in the '80's we would go during the summer for fried chicken dinners on the Eastern shore. It was a favorite family event with my grandparents when they lived in Swan Keys.






Above, FAM in heroic feats of strength, and the whipped cream pie-eating contest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home