Let it be released from the mind

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Such a big girl!



Sheridan is a very happy little baby. She likes to pull people's hair, and likes when you act like a silly person in front of her. I'm fairly good at making her laugh because I am a silly person and also have no idea whatsoever how it is appropriate to play with children. I try to play with them like I do Laika...they don't really like roughhousing I found out. They just don't get it.

I recently saw Sheridan at the last meeting for our cooking club. It was a great way to finally welcome winter as we ate Cajun and Creole specialties on Monday night at A's apartment. It brought us back to our old digs as well, which was fun and familiar.

Dinner included:

Appetizers: Cajun cheese spread

Main Courses: Okra Gumbo and Shrimp or Tofu Etouffee served over rice and Jambalaya

Sides: Cornbread, Maque Choux (pan-fried corn), Sweet Potatoes and pears in a Bourbon Sauce (buttery good!)

Dessert: Pecan Pie with brown sugar-rum whipped cream, cafe au lait ice cream and bananas foster

The flames were incredibly high on the bananas foster. I thought J was going to light the cabinets right on fire, especially with the grime and schelak (sp?) that exist on those nasty apartment cabinets. No offense to A, but we lived there and can attest to that.

I made the Etouffee, and think I did well with the peanut butter-colored roux and the shrimp stock. Question: what do I do with the leftover shrimp stock? I'm looking forward to the leftovers for dinner tonight! Mardi Gras in my belly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home